Allstate highlights five ways to keep danger and destruction out of your home
There’s no place like home for the holidays. But is your home ready? With December festivities in full swing, we’ve made a list of tips to help keep your home merry and Mayhem-free.
- Cook with care: When making meals and treats for holiday visitors, don’t get distracted: keep an eye on the stove and oven to prevent a fire from sparking. If you cook with a deep fryer, make sure the food is fully thawed so it won’t cause the oil to splatter, which can also lead to a fire.
- Distance flammables: Keep Christmas trees and candles at least three feet from anything that can burn, especially furniture, curtains, and decorations. A dry tree can be a fire hazard.
- Protect pets: Choose lights and ornaments with caution. If your pet loves chewing on anything they can get their teeth on, eye-catching decorations such as tinsel, glass ornaments, and electrical cords can be extremely dangerous if eaten or played with.
- Clear pathways: If you live somewhere that tends to get snow and ice, clear walkways and driveways to prevent slips and falls.
Use home security: If you’re in and out of your home more often, take extra care to lock doors and windows and activate your alarm system when you leave.
- Keeping lights on a timer can help fool thieves into thinking you're home.
- Have a neighbor check your mail to keep it from piling up and potentially getting stolen.
- Invest in technology such as a doorbell cameras that can detect and alert you of activity around your home.
Are you taking the right steps to help protect your home and valuables this holiday season? Visit Allstate.com/resources for more seasonal tips.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221220005538/en/